Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:08:22 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TowerJ for FreeBSD

> > > And I think this "shim" is already well documented in the KLD for
> > > the Solaris ABI module.  Yes, I don't know for sure if the Solaris
> > > JDK code will run under the ABI, but Oracle does, and so, apparently,
> > > does Lotus Notes.
> >
> > We're talking two different problems here.  One is a 'completely'
> > separate SVR4 emulation model, and the other is hybrid of FreeBSD
> > binaries and SVR4 (or other) shared libraries.
>
> If Sun can do it in user space for SunOS 4.1.3 binaries, then Nate can
> do it in user space for Solaris x86 binaries on FreeBSD.

Actually, any 'significant' SunOS binary does *NOT* work on Solaris.
(And I'm speaking from experience.)

> The Motif code does not have a large investment in the architecture
> of the OS on which it is run -- it is portable code.

Actually no.  Many of my X programs would not run when I switched to
Solaris, and few of them had 'OS' dependant portions of code.

fvwm is one that comes to mind.

> > > I know we all have a bias that the stuff we are doing is harder than
> > > the stuff anyone else is doing, but frankly I can't see that the JDK
> > > would be any more dependent than the other foreign binaries.
> >
> > Never said it was hard, but that it's alot of stuff to deal with since
> > it requires alot of OS hooks, unlike most 'foreign binaries'.  (Although
> > I would guess that Oracle would be in the same class because it tries to
> > do lots of 'performance' gaining calls.
>
> Precisely why I cited the Oracle success, which you can independently
> verify without having to "stoop" to granting me any credibility
> whatsoever, since you are loathe to do so.

No, I'm not willing to let you change the definition of success.  Being
able to run a completely native Oracle application in SVR4 emulation is
*NOT* the same problem as running a FreeBSD binary that links agains the
Oracle libraries.  They are entirely different problems, with some
slight overlap.

Stick to the issue you raised.

> The part that's linked with the Solaris SHIM library.  E.g.:

What SHIM library?  You're changing the the topic again.
> > Basically, what you're trying to do is put a small-block Chevy engine in
> > a BMW.  Yes, it can be done, but it's not easy and the resulting car is
> > probably worse than the original Chevy and the BMW in terms of
> > performance and reliability.
>
> No, that's not what I'm trying to do.

Sure you are.  Motif/Solaris library == small-block Chevy.  FreeBSD ==
BMW.  They weren't designed to go together.

Nate
> > Terry, you have *yet* to complete a project in FreeBSD/NetBSD/etc.. ,
>
> Actually, I have a number of projects that have been completed and
> integrated into both systems.
>
> LKM's were mine.

And they weren't finished.  And, I've got your email to prove it.

> The FreeBSD kern/init_main.c and linker set based SYSINIT code is
> mine.  Booted your FreeBSD box lately?

And they weren't finished.  I've got email from you to prove it.

Nate