Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 11:02:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Erik A. Pearson" <epearson@olac.berkeley.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0 & mitsumi lu002

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > However, last night I was poking around the BSD Web Page for information
> > on this problem, and ran into your suggestion, as put forth in the usenet
> > archives by Sean Kelly (12/28/94). However, after trying this there was no
> > discernable improvement -- I tried all available irqs on the card with the
> > matching irq on the card -- the io address is fine too since the probe
> > reveals the "version information is 0 M 2" etc. message.
> >
> > Some of the responses to the usenet threads indicated that this solution
> > may not work. Have you found that this actually works? Are there other
> > settings on the card or driver that should be changed? Should the DMA
> > channel on the card be set to 1, 3, or none?
>
> I didn't realize from your message that this was an EIDE CDROM drive.

Oops, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, it is the lu002 with an 8-bit
dedicated interface card, w/ jumpers for i/o address, irq, and DMA
channel. The unit was sold as a BMR 6800 (or something like that).

> Soren is currently working on a driver for the 2.1 release (it may be
> in 2.0.5 if he tries to suprise people).  IDE CDROM drives are really
> SCSI drives with a slow serial interface for shoving SCSI commands down,
> and should be fairly easy to support, but might require some SCSI
> hacking as well to allow code reuse.  I'd expect that that's why the
> driver isn't finished yet.
>
> You *can* install by copying the files to your DOS partition and
> then mounting the DOS partition from BSD to run the install.  You will
> have a slight problem with X this way because of the long names they
> used.  This is fixable using the checksum file as a renaming guide
> (after you copy the files from the DOS to the BSD file system).

Thanks. I may try this, although I don't really have much space on the HD
to set up a large enough DOS partition. I suppose could also install over
the net, but I bought the CDROM to save the hassle of tearing apart a
computer at work to install the drive -- and don't know what problems will
ensue from installing on one machine and then switching the drive to
another (tried it once with a SNAP, and it didn't quite work).

If Sean can get the fixed boot.flp available, that might just solve the
problem. Otherwise, it may be off the the store for a little bit of
shopping (oh, noooooooooo).

Erik Pearson