Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:17:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOD/CG32 Virus

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Holtor wrote:

> Hello, I've heard some stories lately about
> this MOD/CG32 virus that infects unix? Right when
> I heard it I said "bull". A virus for unix..i don't
> think so. But now that a few people have asked/talked
> to me about it, i'm trying to get to some answers
> about this.
> I'm told it can edit BIOS and several things which
> I know can't be done really, I hope. ;)
> Can someone please give me some input on this?
> If this did exist, its not like the user would have
> root, so how is it possible to infect a system?
> If it was, many systems would be in trouble right
> now..
>
> Thanks,
> Holt

Viruses for unix exist and are technically possible. However, due to the
multiuser environment the spread of such viruses are not as much of an
issue as a Wintel system (DOS/Windows). If a virus gets onto such a
system, due the nature of the OS (Single User), the virus can do far more
damage.

The main rules for avoiding viruses on unix are: Don't run executables
from untrusted sources, and execute all programs with the least priviledge
required. Ie, if you don't need to be root to run it, don't.

Remember that programs like tripwire can alert you to changes in your
filesystem, which could potentially be either a stupid user, intruder, or
possibly a virus.

-Nick