Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:43:51 +0000
From:      "SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS" <SP373@student.apu.ac.uk>
To:        qing.li@bluecoat.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound on Dell D600 laptop

Hi,

first do a=20
#pciconf -lv  to find your card. I have a Latitude C810 and the card is a E=
SS Maestro PCI Audio (I think you have the same..) on a FreeBSD 5.4. Rele=
ase. If these instructions are different somehow in FreeBSD 6.0 i would l=
ike to know it, please.
Then check the /boot/defaults/loader.conf file for the apropriate sound dev=
ice for your system. The one also found in the output of pciconf -lv.
and add them in the /boot/loader.conf file which over writes what is in /bo=
ot/defaults/loader.conf=20
I for example have the following two lines added:
sound_load=3D"YES"
snd_maestro3_load=3D"YES"

restart the computer and try
#cat /dev/sndstat

..make sure if you are using kde to start kMix. It happened to me before th=
at the volume was turned down.