Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:35:10 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO: hibernation to disk vs ram?

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> probably said:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Juriy Goloveshkin wrote:
> fdisk on the boot disk with my FreeBSD boot ... subtype of 160 ... size is
> 423360 (~207Meg) according to the 'FDISK Partition Editor' ...
>
> > The right way is to use utility from vaio compact disk(in disk boot image).
>
> > You can also do this without utility by creating partition with sysid
> > 160(the place on disk is where you want, but the number of partition
> > migth be important - 4th).

The partition number does seem to be significant. The exact correct
soze and position on the disk also seem to be significant. It also has
to be under 8Gb for the bios to use it.

> Okay, I just made it last partition on the drive, but you don't think that
> will work?  basically, WinDoze, FreeBSD then subtype 160 ...

A suspend to disk partition created with anything but the phdisk.exe
utility will not work, in my experience.

If you have identical disks and identical laptop models you can take
the details created by phdisk.exe one one machine and use them on
another, but I've tried several times to create partitions for suspend
to disk on new machines/disks and other than phdisk.exe none of them
worked for whatever reason.

Forget creating it manually and use phdisk.exe.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu