Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:05:00 +1000
From:      Nick Fahey <nickfahey@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Portable mass-storage support...

I'm looking to build a 'tapeless' backup system using a FreeBSD backup
staging server running both fixed and portable hard drives. The portable
drive I fancy is the LaCie 'Pocket Drive' with both USB2 and Firewire
interfaces. See:

http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?id=10023

The hardware compatibility guide does not mention these products. The
results of various google searches on the subject of USB mass storage
support in FreeBSD suggest that this area is still generally not well
supported. Has anyone had any experience with these particular drives
(or any other portable mass-storage solutions) under FreeBSD 4.9 or
5.2.x? I would love to wave goodbye to tapes forever! Thanks in advance
for your responses and suggestions.

Nick