Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:59:41 +0100
From:      Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Completely disable sendmail

Hi list,
before someone begins to flame me, I'll tell you that I'm running
6.0-STABLE and that my rc.conf contains:

sendmail_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_submit_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable=3D"NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable=3D"NO"

In my crontab there is a job which runs every hour, and prints one
line as output.
This output should be mailed to me, but since I disabled sendmail, I
guess it should get lost (which is what I'd want).
Anyway, lost or not, I don't want to have it mailed to me, nor I want
sendmail to bug my ttyv0 with such messages:

sendmail[<pid>] My unqualified host name [<my host name>] unknown.
Sleeping for retry
sendmail[<pid>] unable to qualify my own domain name (<my host name>)
-- using short name

My box is not a part of a domain, so the errors are justified, but
this shows that sendmail is not completely disabled on my system...

Now, I could solve this by redirecting the output of my job to
/dev/null, but I don't see it as a smart solution.

Any ideas?

Thanx!

--
Pietro Cerutti