Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:48:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Information, new, propaganda:)

On 08-Nov-00 Artem Koutchine wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just so you understand me right, i am a happy FreeBSD user for many years
> now and i doubt that i will ever switch to something else. (i have come from
> 2.2.1 to 4.2 now, always working in stable).
>
> I just wanted to point out that freebsd site really sucks when it comes to
> the news and propaganda.
>
> If i were a person considering freebsd and i was peridically watching
> freebsd.org for the update all I would notice is a bunch of new comiters and
> periodic releases of new version. That's all. No other news, no periodic
> updates, no news about what's going on around it. The site does not give any
> idea in what ways freebsd is different from  windows and, of course, linux.
> It does not have any screenshots (AND YES, they are important for the
> newbees). For example, look at the kde site. What do they have on the first
> page? NEWS!!! Most sites have NEWS on the first page, because NEWS
> give people an idea that the project is alive. The only way to know, that
> freebsd project is alive (and i know for sure, that IT IS MORE ALIVE THEN
> ANYTHING on the planet) is to do cvsup daily and read the mailists. This is
> no right way to attract new people.
>
> That way about the new people. Now about what i don't like: The site never
> contains technical information what's planned or what's changed. For
> example, i HAVE NOT IDEA what's new in 5.0-CURRENT or even what's
> new in 4.2 comparing to 4.1.1.
>
> I think we need more news!

Hear, hear! I wholeheartedly agree. Things are moving in /usr/src but it is hard
for me to know exactly what and why/if it will be of any use to me. A sort of a
monthly/weekly summary of what is happening would be nice.

For the occasional visitor the website must really impress and/or tell them what
they want. Lets face it, most prospects come from MS windows and even if they are
willing to learn they must have an idea of what to learn, what the whole shebang
is about: i.e. "FreeBSD is an alternative to any desktop need. You can use it
instead if MS Windows, but you cannot run windows programs on it (well, with
wine you perhaps can, but not in a newbies world). On the other hand there are
many workalike programs for that will make you not need windows any longer. It
does require some effort on your behalf."

Personally I would like to know if anyone, anywhere, have computerized a normal
organization with FreeBSD, from researchers to secretaries to website?

I am also a strong believer of screenshots. Yes, they will probably look like any
screenshot on linux, but they will convey the fact that we have windows
and colours and stuff.

Cheers,
Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE