Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:52:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        wjv@cityip.co.za, martin@netconstruct.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

According to Greg Lehey:
> On Friday,  6 November 1998 at 16:59:13 +0200, Johann Visagie wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 at 16:31 SAST, Martin Leufray III wrote:
> >>
> >> There is a raging debate in our offices about FreeBSD vs. Linux. We are an
> >> international consulting firm and our internal decisions affect a lot of data
> >> centers.
> >>
> >> Is there a definitive comparison anywhere?

	[[ ... ]]

> To the casual observer, there is *no difference* between Linux and
> FreeBSD.  If you look closer, the differences you'll see are mainly
> historical.  If you look in the source code, you'll see the real
> differences: FreeBSD is more mature code, and it expends more effort
> making the system run well in an environment with a large number of
> processes.  I think it unlikely, for example, that you could create a
> system like wcarchive (ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.txt)
> using Linux.
>
> What does this mean for the average desktop user?  Nothing.

	Yes, *BSD bigots, it's true.  My experiences with Linux
	were fairly limited, but under normal `desktop' use it
	was solid for the few weeks it was running.

	Another point that Greg didn't mention is the large number
	of commercial apps ported or being ported to Linux.
	(For my sake, there is nothing worth actual dollars that
	I'd ever buy, though, so this means little to me.)

	If your usage is heavy to extremely heavy, go with FreeBSD.
	It's stability is becoming legendary.  If your load is
	much lighter and you might need commercial-ware, Linux
	may be better.

	gary