Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 14:50:09 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-root /var/run files (was Re: Sendmail, smmsp, and pid file)

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:36:00AM +0400, "."@babolo.ru wrote:
> I have a lot of troubles with djb's tools in jail environment:
> they are unreliable.

Huh? What is the problem? While the license causes plenty of problems I have
yet to see the programs themselves cause any. Now they may not be a natural
fit to what you are trying to do in this case but that doesn't invalidate the
idea of a service control manager in general - only perhaps the daemontools
implementation for your particular application.

> Are you sure that http://www.io.com/~manoj/file/mktool-0.0.7.tar.gz
> (are you mean this one?) is better?

It's hackable, which compared to daemontools is a big plus.  And the author
has said he is willing to add some more improvements and documentation.

> I do not find docs or mans and am not sure that
> it is worth-while to dig in thist code instead of
> simple shell scripts (as in ports/38593 - that is
> my way to service control manager)

Re: docs, see above. If there's sufficient interest I can prod the author or
write some myself.

The problem with all these homegrown solutions is that they are not portable
and lack the necessary features to be of general use, among others.

I think first there needs to be consensus that having some sort of service
control manager in the base OS is a good idea. Then we can look into possible
candidates. Given the long tradition that pidfiles have in UNIX this is
probably an uphill battle, even though I think there are plenty of reasons to
consider them the result of poor engineering.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA