Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 12:10:59 +0200
From:      Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny@broadpark.no>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        David Stanford <dthomas53@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeworld FAILURE on 5.4-STABLE

At 13:55 16.05.2006, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 May 2006 05:30, Kyrre Nygard wrote:
> > >Is /home on a slice of its own. Mine is, for the reason that if I
> > > have to blow off the system and reinstall, I can safely do that, as
> > > long as I don't make any changes to /home, just remount it as
> > > /home. You can do this with sysinstall, very easlily.
> > >
> > >Send the output from 'df', I can tell from that.
> > >
> > >Don
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > Actually, my /home is under /usr ... uh oh huh?
> > No can do then?
> >
> > Thanks for the tip of having /home as a seperate slice though,
> > I'll treasure it for the rest of my days!
> >
> > Peace,
> > Kyrre
>
>Not as you have it now. However, I read a possible solution that I think
>might work, to you from David Stanford. I think it will work, it just
>needs a couple of suggestions to flesh it out a bit.
>
>I'll requote it here:
>How large is your /var slice? If it's large enough to fit /home (or at
>least the files you'd like to save), maybe try booting into single-user
>mode, mount /usr and /var, wipe out /var, copy the files from /usr/home
>to /var, and just remember to document what slice /var was. Then you
>could just reinstall the base system around it using a 6.1-RELEASE CD,
>no?
>
>Just a shot in the dark...
>===============
>
>Not a bad shot in the dark, I think it will work if you do it this way:
>1) Follow what David said above,  be sure to document what slice /var
>is. You're going to need that information when you reinstall with the
>6.1-RELEASE disc.
>
>2) boot up the release disc. Use the standard install method. The first
>thing you come to is "fdisk" partitioning. The only thing you're going
>to do here is make an existing partition bootable, don't change
>anything else, don't make any new partitions, don't delete any. Just
>make the one partition bootable, then go on to the next step and
>install the boot manager.
>
>3) BSDlabel is the next step. Since you didn't change any partitions on
>your disc, the existing slices should come up. You can remove and
>recreate all of them except the one you had for /var. You're going to
>mount that one as /home. At this point, you can create your other
>slices and mount points. Make sure that the slice you now have as /home
>is not going have 'newfs' run on it, all the others need to have it
>done, but not /home. Then go on with the installation.
>
>Until you go through the disk label step, you haven't changed anything.
>Once you get through that step, you're committed, and what will be,
>will be. So, if you need any clarification, ask for it. Just remember,
>if you make a mistake, it's unpleasant and you'll be kicking yourself
>in the ass, but it's not the end of the world.
>
>Don

Hey man,

# df
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a    248M     35M    193M    15%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad4s1d    248M     80M    148M    35%    /var
/dev/ad4s1e    248M     10K    228M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad4s1f    142G    118G     12G    91%    /usr

Great shot! :)

So in my case, can I not first mount /dev/ad4s1f from FreeSBIE
maybe, delete everything except my home directory, and then run a
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE reinstall, skipping the parts that would
mess with my /dev/ad4s1f?

Hehe, no it would not be the end of the world.
But it would put an end to the fruits of a lot of struggle.

See you around man,
Kyrre