Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:17:36 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2.1 on a Cabriolet?

--=-=-=

I'm using a PC64 (from dmesg: "Digital AlphaPC 64 274 MHz, 274MHz") with
three fxp cards as a firewall/router.  The machine is currently running
4.9-STABLE, but I imagine that I'll be needing to upgrade to 5.x at some
time soon when that becomes the stable branch.

Right now, I'm using 5-CURRENT on a few x86 servers with great success, but
I don't want to attempt to upgrade my router until I feel fairly confident
that I can do it without too much downtime or emergency restoral from
backups.  So, does anyone have an opinion on whether 5.2.1 would probably be
stable enough to upgrade at this time, or would I be better off waiting
until 5-STABLE comes along?

On the one hand, I don't want to upgrade prematurely.  On the other hand, I
don't want to wait until the 4-STABLE brance is completely dead so that I
have no real fallback position if I encounter some weird hardware
incompatibility.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.