Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:43:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5400RPM/7200RPM

> Nader Turki wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i sold my pc and i'm using my old gateway right now. it's an old
> PII333MHz, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 4.1GB quantum fireball (UDMA33). i'm
> running FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE with blackbox.

Hi Nader,

I'm no pro in determining which IDE disk is better/faster/bigger/cooler/etc.

This is a question where the answer is the default: It depends. In this case it
depends on your usage of your computer.

If you are doing a lot of disk-io (eg. running a loaded database, a loaded
web-server ....) the faster the better. If you are only starting your computer,
running <browser of choice>, Star-Office, <mail-program of choice>, using X and
some tools you will see a "faster" startup of your programs - but otherwise
mostly no difference should be seen.
"Faster" means in this case some seconds or subseconds. If you want it faster
because you can't wait 1 or 2 seconds longer to get Mozilla (for example)
started, buy the faster one and a new controller ...

I'm running a SCSI U-160 disk with 10,000 RPM in my main workstation - it is
kind of fast - and kind of loud. Next time I will buy the slower one, for sure
(But it is quiet compared to the SparcStation 10 ...).
My other workstation is a Pentium 200 with 128 MB RAM, 4 GB SCSI disk with 5400
RPM ... and it is fast enough for normal jobs like browsing, mailing,
compiling.
My gateway is a 486 at the moment. Perhaps I get PicoBSD or ClosedBSD running
on my 386 SX and hopefully that machine is capable of saturating a DSL-link -
then that will be my gateway.

Your hardware is not old :) Hope that helps

Marc