Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:20:18 -0700
From:      "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with msk driver on 8-CURRENT amd64

Comments inline.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:45:48PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>  > Hi Pyun!
>  >       I know it's been a while since I responded, but after
>  > reinstalling my system recently I noticed that the issue I mentioned
>  > almost a year ago
>  > (http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_thread.php?list=freebsd-net&id=2570821&thread=yes)
>  > with my Marvell chipset card has once again returned. In the interim I
>  > was using x86, and I didn't suffer from any of the issues I have again
>  > on x64, and I was using XP x64 but now I've switched over to Vista x64
>  > on my client box.
>  >       Subsequently, the only thing that's really changed on my system
>  > is that I'm using CPUTYPE=nocona (for my Core 2 Quad proc).
>  >       I'm using the 7-RELENG kernel right now (and not really enjoying
>  > it, but it works -- yay?), but I'd like to help resolve the issue with
>  > msk under CURRENT with x64 and my chipset.
>  >       Standing by awaiting marching orders with tcpdump, netcat, and
>  > pciconf at my side to help debug the issue :).
>
> Would you please explain your issues with more information?
> For instance,
>  Can you see a valid link is established by msk(4)?

Sort of. A link between the endpoints is established, but then it
stalls and fails after a "connection reset".

>  Did both ends agree on established speed/duplex?

Yes, they did.

>  What speed/duplex was chosen by msk(4)?

10/100MBit and GBit duplex, respectively.

>  Forcing speed/duplex have any effects?

Not sure, but using a 100MBit and 1GBit connection yields the same
results, whereas before I just claimed it was just gigabit
connections.

>  Turning off checksum offload or TSO have any effects?

How do I do that?

>  Did you use back-to-back connection without switch?

I'm connecting via a switch and it works perfectly fine via 7-RELENG with amd64.

>  tcpdump data for a broken connection might be help too.

Ok.

More help on trying to setup everything to debug this issue would be helpful.

FWIW, the issue might be that the MTU doesn't match for Windows and
FreeBSD (I remember reading that somewhere a while back)...
unfortunately, my router speaks this MTU (1464?) so connections via
msk don't work properly anymore on 8-CURRENT.

Thanks,
-Garrett