Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:29:01 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>, Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripting languages (was: Re: Package system flaws?)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:03:53PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net> writes:
> > well, I have a very low knowledge about zsh, but it has many features
> > (maybe too much, IMHO) such as associative arrays and builtin dynamic
>
> zsh is mostly a ksh clone.  It can also emulate sh, csh and bash (and
> even understands csh scripting syntax), but it's possibly not a good
> enough sh clone to replace ash.  At leat 3.x wasn't - I haven't
> checked the docs lately, so it's possible that 4.x is better.

Fyi, OS X used to use it as its /bin/sh but they dropped it because it didn't
work well with their scripts. Unfortunately they never bothered to raise these
issues with the zsh developers. But: they used an old version (3.0.*) and some
discussion on zsh-workers leads me to believe that at least some of their
scripts are just broken. Furthermore, in my experience the zsh people are very
willing to work out compatibility and standards issues. Plus, the license
seems to be BSD-friendly.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA