Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, vaevictus@socket.net
Subject:   Re: Proxy Firewalling

>From: "Vaevictus Asmadi" <vaevictus@socket.net>
>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:50:13 -0500

>In Greg's book, The Complete Freebsd, it makes mention of proxy firewalling,
>routing and translating packets based on the packet's info/source.
>Does anyone have any info or examples or tutorials or experience with this?
>What i'm needing to do is (based on the source IP) route either to my web
>proxy or to my web-filter proxy.  Any Ideas where to take this?

I'd use natd to accomplish this.

For example, on my home firewall, I tunnel in-bound ssh connections from
selected source IPs to a certain internal machine.  (In-bound ssh
connections from elsewhere get dropped on the floor.)  I also pass
in-bound HTTP connections from the outside world to a certain internal
Web server; making the selection of which internal Web server based on
source IP address would be straightforward.

On the other hand, it may or may not be worthy of trust.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915