Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:47:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        Peter McGarvey <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Q: FreeBSD -> SQL Server with ODBC

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Peter McGarvey wrote:

<snip>
> We also have another NT machine running SQL Server.  The current WebServer
> is able to query the SQL server via ODBC using a perl module (WIN32::ODBC).
> So, I need to access the SQL Server in a similar manner.  I did some looking
> around and came to the conclusion that ODBC on FreeBSD was indeed possible.
> Having previously installed Perl5, I downloaded and attempted to install the
> following perl modules:
>
> 	DBI-1.06.tar.gz
> 	DBD-ODBC-0.20.tar.gz

	I believe this will work, ( although if I recall the DBD-ODBC was
still pretty early in development ) however you will still need some sort
of ODBS service.

> The first installed okay, the second started moaning about driver managers
> and drivers.
>
> I'm new-ish to FreeBSD and to unix and unfortunately I'm at the limit of my
> knowlege.
>
> Can some kind person take pity and give me some help?

	Well I can try, but I haven't actually used any of these products
so I can't say how well they do or don't work.

	First check out :
http://metalab.unc.edu/freetds/

	Read throught the site completely, especially the faq.  I believe
this will begin to point you in the right direction.

	Also if you are not too attached to perl you can take a look at
php, which if you go through enough loops may provide you with an ability
to access your MS SQL server from FreeBSD.  PHP can be found at :
http://www.php.net/

	Their faq also has info in this regard and may prove useful, see :
http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3

	Again, I haven't actually used this programs in this way so this
should be taken with a grain of salt :-)

* Joseph M. Scott
* jmscott@ainet.com
* American InfoMetrics
* Modesto, CA