Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:05:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        vadim_nuclight@mail.ru, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, philip@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Official git export
References:  <35765857-1314243257-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-329610575-@b2.c15.bise7.blackberry>	<CAJ-Vmo=v0UkQarauKrvWKdjMTC81BwXmyhU__rnaQeL3z45L-g@mail.gmail.com>	<slrnj5ddgp.4ck.vadim_nuclight@kernblitz.nuclight.avtf.net>	<CAMBSHm8uX45k0M4on=5Cpw_CKoddA=4oJSNXpH7dGPt=Vy2HOw@mail.gmail.com>	<alpine.BSF.2.00.1108261000040.48200@fledge.watson.org>	<slrnj5lc58.jd1.vadim_nuclight@kernblitz.nuclight.avtf.net>	<4e5ba9c3.bzHIw1KEy8R2QcK7%perryh@pluto.rain.com>	<3420B331-C697-468A-80BA-B31C33804710@freebsd.org> <4e5c5b5f.moT7dLemOuteQJ5T%perryh@pluto.rain.com>

On 8/29/11 8:39 PM, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Philip Paeps<philip@freebsd.org>  wrote:
>>> Good luck getting agreement on what to model it on :)
>>>
>>> Personally I would suggest ClearCase as a model, but that's
>>> largely because I'm familiar with it.
>> Wait...  you're familiar with ClearCase and you want something
>> that's modelled like it?  Most people familiar with ClearCase
>> consider it to be a dire warning of what a VCS can become, not
>> an example. :)
>>
>> I think any system where the server has to keep track of every
>> client's files is pretty much obsolete in 2011.  It scales
>> unbelievably poorly.
> The VOB server does keep track of every view's[1] checkouts, but
> I consider that a very low-level implementation detail -- there's
> no reason in principle why that record couldn't be kept in the view
> instead of in the VOB.  (In a distributed system, which is what
> FreeBSD needs, checkout records _can't_ be maintained centrally.)
>
> What I'm advocating is the usage experience.  Things like:
>
> * Anyone can create a branch, and no one else will be aware of it
>    unless they go looking for it, but all branches are peers.
not all branches are peers. That's just the way things are in the real
world.

what follows could be a description of many VCS.
> * Checkout, editing, and checkin of directories follows the same
>    workflow as files.
>
> * Elements (files, directories) can be moved from one directory to
>    another without losing history.  The move is initially visible
>    only on the branch where it is performed, becoming visible on
>    other branches via merging, just as with file edits.
>
> * Graphical visualization of any element's branch and version tree,
>    including all merges.
p4 can do this really well... a lot of DSCS can't.
> * Automatic identification of the common ancestor ("base contributor")
>    version when performing a merge.
>
> * The best multi-way merge tool I have seen -- it has issues, but
>    overall I rate it a B+.  (I would rate most no higher than a C.)
>    The same merge tool is used for directories as for files, with
>    directory entries being represented textually.
*****

I once had to work with clearcase...  I swore to never do so again.
Never trust a system to hold your files when you can't find where the
y really are.
(as a user)
***