Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        riki@unila.ac.id (Riki Winatha)
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr (Giorgos Keramidas), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: directori boot/

> btw.. i imagine that...how to clone the FreeBSD system...
> like we clone Micro$oft with norton ghost..
>
> i got confuse.. how to back up my FreeBSD system..
> usually.. i just backup with compress the file with tar.gz
> but it didn't backup my system ( FreeBSD ).
> could FreeBSD be backed up with some utility like norton ghost or else ?
> thank's for your advices.

I don't know about ghost, per se.   But for UNIX backup, learn to
use dump(8) and restore(8).  With those you write backup and restore
files by file system (partition generally).   They can dump to tape
or disk files on another drive or zip drive or whatever.

Check out:    man dump     and:    man restore.

Generally for a full backup of a file systems (root (/) and home (/home)
for examples)
to tape do:         dump 0af /dev/nrsa0 /
                    dump 0af /dev/nrsa0 /home
or
to disk file do:    dump 0af FULL_FILE_NAME-root /
                    dump 0af /FULL_FILE_NAME-home /home

Replace FULL_FILE_NAME with the name of the file to which you want to
write the dump.

////jerry