Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:17:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-DP2 questions

>Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:20:38 -0800
>From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>

>It's often more efficient to use binary installations/upgrades than
>source, on slow machines.  For example, I build world on a fast
>machine, mount via NFS and then installworld on my slower machines.

Quite so -- not only more efficient, but also less painful. :-}

Indeed, that is how my "build machine" achieved that designation:  I
install -STABLE snapshots built on it about every 2 weeks or so onto my
firewall & a macihne that acts as the externally-visible Web server.
(And it would be faster & less hassle for me to treat my laptop
similarly; on the other hand, I wanted to be able to compare UP vs. SMP
if Something Weird(tm) were to happen.  I also wanted to be sure that I
had an independent complete (and portable) build environment on my
laptop -- complete with its own copy of the FreeBSD CVS repo.)

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I have no confidence in results obtained through the use of Microsoft products.