Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:44:56 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Subject:   Re: what am i doing wrong?!

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 09:57:04AM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	So far, I've upgraded my second FBSD platform to 5.4.  With
> >
> ># USB support
> >device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> >device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> >#device         ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> >device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> >	[[ ... ]]
> >
> >device          uscanner        # Scanners
> >
> >	builtin.  I just tried xsane again; still no devices.  I'm
> >	still minus /dev/uscanner[01].  How, pray tell,  do I create
> >	these?
>
> Is your scanner supported or recognized? I recall having similar
> problems with an Epson 2480 scanner. It was not recognized as a scanner
> but using ugen0 worked. You should also check permissions on the usb
> devices, otherwise you have to scan as root.

	Do I need to have the device for USB 2.0 perhaps??
	That is the only thing that is still commented.  I'll
	try that later on today.  As root, yes, I am able to
	have sane test, not as a user.  The scanner I am testing
	is recognized--HP ScanJet 4100C.  But it was sold AS-IS
	and may well be broken.  My friend got a *second* 4100C
	for $1.00 [no, not kidding]; it works on his Windows
	box.   ((I'll gladly let him scan things if he is willing.))

> If the scanner is supported using the ugen device then it is a question
> of patching a few files to get it recognized. For the Epson 2480, I
> submitted this bug report:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/86094
>
> this may give you an idea of what it's about.
>
> Cheers, Erik

	I'll check your PR, thnks.  I've got some other question
	for you or the list---anyone who has successfully scanned
	books and OCR'd them into ASCII|iso_8859-1.

	Which USB model scanner Just-Works? Any? None?  More to the
	point, is there any scanner that works with books using
	xsane to do OCR?

	thanks for any insights,

	gary

--