Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 14:19:19 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Loszewski <drlski@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious Vinum problem, PLZ HELP

Single line paragraphs.

On Thursday, 23 May 2002 at  1:56:58 -0400, David Loszewski wrote:
> I'm attempting to create a striped raid out of 2 drives of equal
> size.  I created the /etc/vinum.conf file which reads as:
>
>     drive da2 device /dev/da2s1e
>     drive da3 device /dev/da3s1e
>     volume stripe
>         plex org striped 256k

You shouldn't use powers of 2 for stripe sizes.  This was in the
examples at one point, but it's still wrong.  Try something like 296k.
But that's not causing your problem here.

>             sd length 17272m drive da2
>             sd length 17272m drive da3
>
> After I created the config file I started up vinum and typed:
>
>     vinum > create -f /etc/vinum.conf

You shouldn't need -f here.

>     vinum > quit
>
> Once I did that I created a new fs and mounted it:
>
>     newfs -v /dev/vinum/stripe
>     mount /dev/vinum/stripe /stripe
>
> All worked fine, I now had a 36GB striped raid which I could access.
> So after everything seemed to work fine I created a spot in the fstab
> reading:
>     /dev/vinum/stripe    /stripe    ufs    rw    2    2
>
> I restarted the computer and it didn't work....it came up saying
> that there was an inconsistency with fstab and kicked me into
> single-user mode.
>
> I removed that line from fstab and restarted once more,

In a case like this, just change to:

     /dev/vinum/stripe    /stripe    ufs    rw,noauto    2    2

That will enable you to boot normally and find out what's gone wrong.

> once it restarted and I logged into root I tried to mount /stripe
> and it came up saying '/dev/vinum/stripe not configured' .  I then
> started up vinum again and typed 'list' and it showed that nothing
> was getting striped it seemed.  In order to get things working again
> I had to do the 'create -f /etc/vinum.conf' command in vinum, create
> the newfs

You shouldn't need to newfs.  The data should still be there.

> and then mount it.  Is there a way to make it so that I don't have
> to keep doing this everytime I start up the computer.

I can't see anything obviously wrong in what you've done.   Take a
look at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and check out
the information yourself first.  If you can't find what's gone wrong,
send me the information I ask for.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.