Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:23:07 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>, FBSD Doc project <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD.org visitors

--Apple-Mail=_BF66D175-3D6A-4743-A544-3DCA0BCA5632

On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf
>=20
> Some takeaways:
>=20
> - More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
> without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
> users spend more time than any other user per page.
> - Non-bouncing users had an average of just over 4 pages per session
> but spent about an average of 0.86/s per page.  They spend most of
> their time on the last page.
>=20
> =46rom these I think we can take away that most people come looking =
for
> something very specific.
> How can we fix this? Better search maybe?  Improved navigation bar?
> Its up to you to work on this.
>=20
> - New users spend a lot *less* time on the site than repeat visitors.
>=20
> Do we need better advocacy data?  Less text to confuse new users?  Is
> this trend specific to FreeBSD or is it true across the board?
>=20
> - Internet Explorer is 10% of our traffic.
>=20
> Many of ours users use Windows as there primary desktop platform.
> Probably more if we include not-IE on Windows.
>=20
> What other insights do you see?
> What other data might be helpful for us?

I thought we were going to see what pages are being hit the most, what =
kind of search
patterns people use to find us (and pages we host), so that we can =
anticipate that there
are perhaps searches that we do not provide content with effectively, or =
that the "download"
and "security information" pages are being requested most often, so that =
we can make sure
that vital and accurate information is printed there.=20

For me, your PDF does not say anything at all, because the why's cannot =
be filled in with this
information. What were people looking for and what did they hit? =
"Download FreeBSD" and
getting the page "Why contribute to FreeBSD" doesn't satisfy the =
download request so we should
adopt it.

Nice graphs, useless information (imo).

Remko