Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/58111: Handbook 12.4.3 Rebuilding ATA RAID1 Arrays contains errors

>Number:         58111
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook 12.4.3 Rebuilding ATA RAID1 Arrays contains errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD duchess.twilley.org 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jun 16 07:00:17 PDT 2003 root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DUCHESS i386

        Section 12.4.3 of the FreeBSD Handbook discusses rebuilding
        ATA RAID1 arrays.  The example case is of a Promise IDE RAID
        card.  I have one of these, and recently had the need to rebuild
        the RAID array.  During this process, I discovered two errors
        in the documentation:

         * step 3 is incomplete
           "Reattach the disk as a spare:" has a command to reattach
           the disk, but no command to attach the new disk to the array
           as a spare disk.

         * step 5 is obsolete
           The documentation reports that the rebuild command hangs until
           complete.  In fact, the rebuild command returns immediately
           and the disk is rebuilt in the background.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
        Replace the old step 3 with something like this:

        3.  Reattach the disk as a spare:

		# atacontrol attach 3
		Master:  ad6 <MAXTOR 6L080J4/A93.0500> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
		Slave:   no device present
		# atacontrol addspare ar0 ad6
		<appropriate output here, stupidly didn't save it>

        Replace the old step 5 with something like this:

        5.  The rebuild command returns immediately.  You can check on
            the progress by issuing the following command: