Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:31:16 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 04:57 pm, Terry Lambert banged out on the ke=
ys:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > I think FreeBSD's installer could be better, too, but it works in a
> > fairly straightforward manner as long as you don't have strange
> > hardware.
>
> FreeBSD's disk "slicing" and "partitioning" really sucks.
>
> It's pretty damn unforgiving, in fact.
> Grrr.
>
> -- Terry

Hope you all don't mind my .02 worth, I'm just a typical (?) end-user. Be=
en=20
using FreeBSD less than 2 years, installed it maybe a dozen times or so,=20
always 'dangerously dedicated'. I've never had a problem understanding th=
e=20
partitioning screens. I'm not a developer or programmer of any kind. I us=
e=20
FBSD for my home workstation, also have a machine for the firewall, and a=
=20
third for a web/mysql server.=20
I've always found it quite simple (I've had more problems with MS OS's,=20
especially on laptops, I'm an NT :-( network admin, at work) - the first=20
thing I did was give / 100 megs, then give /swap double whatever the ram =
is,=20
and the rest goes to /usr. When all's said and done, I symlink /tmp to=20
/usr/tmp and /var to /usr/var.=20
I know there are many other ways to set up partitions, with multiple OS's=
=20
etc, but it never was as difficult as I've read and been led to believe.=20
I suppose there's room for improvement, since the apparent goal of many O=
S's=20
is to dummy-down the install procedure so the complete computer-illiterat=
e=20
can handle it, no questions asked.=20
It's been a few months since the last install (the last update was 4.4-r =
that=20
I installed), and I'll be installing 4.5-r soon as the iso is downloadabl=
e.=20
If it's of any interest, I'll be glad to post my install experiences and=20
general thoughts, pertaining to the partition section in particular.
Or, maybe I've just been 'lucky' and not had any problems? :-)
Regards,
--=20
Chip
www.wiegand.org
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.