Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:15:28 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        tethys ocean <tethys.ocean@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 6.3 to 7.0

tethys ocean wrote:
> Hi
>
> I ve got 6.3 stable database server.  Can i directly upgrade my server from
> 6.3 to 7.0
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
>
> *default release=cvs tag=.
>
> and also may i add ZFS to my server if such kind of update succsessfull.  is
> it possible or not and advantage and disadvantage.

It's quite possible to go from RELENG_6 to 7.0-RELEASE via the traditional
csup/buildworld cycle.  Take a backup, as *always*.  If the machine is
remote, have someone prepared to go there ASAP if there is a problem.
Be sure and "mergemaster -p".  However, I don't recall much
trouble ... aside from rebuilding all ports.  In some cases,
'twas easier to "make deinstall" and then rebuild or even pkg_add.

Kevin Kinsey
--
Lee's Law:
	Mother said there would be days like this,