Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 23:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mamoru Iwaki <iwaki@bsp.bc.niigata-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/24467: new ports graphics/libfpx

The following reply was made to PR ports/24467; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mamoru Iwaki <iwaki@bsp.bc.niigata-u.ac.jp>
To: mi@aldan.algebra.com, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 15:44:19 +0900

 From: Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
 Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

 First of all, thank you for your comment, and now I can compile the
 libfpx from ports-current on my FreeBSD-statble box.
 What I did is as followings.

 (0) backed up the list of installed packages.
 (1) deinstalled all packages except XFree86-4(4.0.3) and any other
 software installed personally, then removed all garbages, I believe
 so, under /usr/local directory.
 (2) installed portupgrade form ports, and reistalled all the
 deinstalled packages from ports-current using portupgrade.

 #Firstly, I tried to clean up under /usr/local manually, and removed
 #all garbages I found.  However, libfpx was still impossible to be
 #compiled from ports-current.  So I did as above finally, and I
 #needed long time to reply to your mail.

 > Strange,  me here  and  bento don't  seem to  have  problems. Could  you
 > investigate?  If there  is  a define  missing,  that configure  creates,
 > please, let me know...

 Yes, it's strange.  I think this ports is not robust enough to the
 veriation of systems to be installed on.

 > > Why need files/Makefile.BSD?
 > >
 > > It looks ad-hoc and very particular to FreeBSD.
 >
 > Well,  I'm  not sure,  what's  so  "ad-hoc" about  it,  but  yes, it  is
 > particular to FreeBSD -- hence the  name (I'm quite certain it will work
 > on other BSDs -- patches welcome).

 Yes, I agree with the portability of this version against *BSD.
 But I'm worry about the amount and the complexity of the required
 modifications for the next coming version of libfxp and the all
 *BSD.  I wonder if the Makefile.BSD approach is not robust enough to
 such variations.  Then I proposed configure and libtools should be
 used for the above issue, I think it is a kind of portabilities.

 #But I don't have enough patch to do so, sorry.

 > I tried using  configure and the "recommended" build  procedure. I don't
 > remember the  details, but  I think  it tries  to build  separate little
 > libraries and build its own libjpeg. Generally, when the size of patches
 > aproaches the size of the custom Makefile, I write the custom Makefile.

 I cannot see any extra libjpeg other than /usr/local/lib/libjpeg* of
 graphics/jpeg when I istalled libfpx using my previous patch to
 Makefile before I tried the above all-deinstall-reinstall approach.

 > The ports system  only needs to be portable between  BSDs. I believe, my
 > aproach is fine.

 Yes, I have no objection about the range of portability.
 I have proposed another possible way to achieve it.

 > In this particular case, check if  you have an include file conflict. Do
 > you have a common.h in /usr/local/include by a chance?

 I checked the existence of common.h, but such file didn't exist.  I
 also checked all include files with the same name, and the files
 which were not in the installed lists of /var/db/pkg/* were removed.
 But the failure of compilation still happend, hence I did clean up
 all over the /usr/local as above.

 As a conclusion,

 (a) libfpx can be compiled in a clean environment.
 (b) but it may not be robust enough to variations of the installed
     environment.
 (c) using configure will be a possible easy way for the above issue,
     but preparing a particular Makefile may be also good idea if the
     required patches become large.

 Right?

 Thanks
 ---
 -----
 Mamoru IWAKI   (iwaki@bc.niigata-u.ac.jp)
 Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University