Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Antoine Brodin <antoine.brodin@laposte.net>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Stack saving/tracing functionality.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20050608221829.75c2de12.antoine.brodin@laposte.net>, Antoine Brodin writes:
> >Hi,
> >

> >With Jeff@'s help, I implemented stack saving/tracing functionality.
>
> Thankyou!

Yes, indeed.  Good work Antoine.

> >Another question: Since the stack saving/tracing functionality depends
> >on ddb, should kern/subr_stack.c be moved to ddb/stack.c and
> >sys/stack.h to ddb/stack.h?
>
> No.
>
> This code should be compiled in as standard so that any panic prints
> a stacktrace on the console, also for non-KDB kernels.

You mean use it to print the unresolved addresses without ddb compiled in?
It might be useful to breakout the ddb functionality which parses the
symbols, and consider always building in the symbols except perhaps in
extreme low memory situations.

> A sysctl to enable grepping a backtrace from core-dumping processes
> would be wonderful as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here?  This is designed to save
and display kernel stacks while running.