Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 15:35:41 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Goodbye, FreeBSD!

> It makes me more than a little sad to have to announce this, but with
> my cable Internet connection soon to be installed, I've started
> updating my multimedia apps for Windows (even got the Win 98 upgrade
> pack!), so I can take advantage of all the new, rich, multimedia
> content the net now has to offer.
[...]

> Three years with FreeBSD has been a real learning experience, and one
> about which I certainly have no regrets, but I've decided I'm tired
> of doing without all the fantastic new developments out there, not to
> mention being *really* tired of the relative hassle of installing and
> configuring apps for FreeBSD as compared to Windows.
[...]

> Ya'all take care.  I will miss the rich hacking environment FreeBSD
> offers, but I certainly won't miss feeling like the orphaned
> stepchild all the time as I visit web sites whose content I'm unable
> to experience, and being envious of all those great apps that are
> available for other OSes.

Well, one question:

You liked FreeBSD's environment. If you are anything like me, you most
liked the fact you with most UNIX ultilities and most free software in
general, you preserve the knowledge you gain from one version to
another. You preserve an application's setup across its versions.
Every minute you invest in underatanding the tools will pay back in
improved turnaround times in your work.

Why not apply all this to the new contents you enjoy? Text files
aren't everything, and the UNIX idioms apply to other areas as well.

I personally like FPS games and I seriously suffer from similar
problems. But since I run my games exclusivly on Linux and FreeBSD and
invest the time I can't play games that don't run on these platforms
into understanding the other games' technical requirements, I enjoy
both playing and educating myself. Also, my knowledge of Quake's inner
workings is a real advantage in deathmatch :-)

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/