Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 08:40:39 -0700
From:      "Donald E. Lyon, Jr. Ph.D." <DELyonJr@mci2000.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FW: RAID

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald E. Lyon, Jr. Ph.D. [mailto:DELyonJr@mci2000.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 7:45 PM
To: Greg Lehey
Subject: RE: RAID

Greg,

The SCO Virtual Disk Manager is an add-on, layered product that enhances the
ability of SCO OpenServer Release 5 to provide flexible configurations of
high reliability, high performance data storage.

Virtual disks are used to organize data in multi-disk systems. Areas from
several discrete hard disks can be assigned to a virtual disk, which is
accessible as if it were a single physical disk by applications running on
the system.

Virtual disks can support partitions larger than a single disk's physical
extent. In addition, virtual disks can be organized so that I/O requests are
written to an array of disk drives in parallel. This can be used to mirror
data (providing increased security against hardware failures), or to stripe
data across multiple disks (improving performance).

There are several virtual disk types: most are implemented as RAID
(redundant array of inexpensive disks) configurations. In this release, RAID
configurations 0, 1, 4, 5, 10 and 53 are supported.

Disk "pieces" can be assigned to virtual disks as needed. Some virtual disk
types can use this facility in the event of a hardware failure. A disk piece
is brought online from a spare disk drive kept on hot standby, and the lost
data is regenerated from the parity information and data stored on the other
drives in the array. This permits an array to keep working at near-optimal
performance despite isolated hardware failures.

Virtual disks can be administered without taking the system offline,
including online reconfiguration, online restore, and online data
verification. This capability reduces disk downtime due to storage system
reconfiguration and performance tuning.

Virtual disks are used to manage data in a more flexible way on systems with
multiple hard disks. They are particularly useful for improving the
performance of large applications, such as databases, by distributing the
data across multiple disks and speeding up disk I/O.

Units of virtual disk space look like real disk partitions to programs
running on the system, but their characteristics can be changed dynamically
using the Virtual Disk Manager.

The Virtual Disk Manager adds an additional level of software control to the
allocation of data storage. Normally, when applications request some data
from the filesystem, the kernel uses the filesystem to discover the disk
blocks where the data is stored and returns the data directly. When a
virtual disk is in use, the system reads and writes to a virtual disk
driver, which in turn manages the physical allocation of data across several
disks.

This has a number of advantages. A virtual disk can be assembled from a
collection of small disks, or pieces of disks, so that rather than providing
a set of small partitions they can be used to provide a single large
contiguous disk space. Data can be duplicated (``mirrored'') across drives,
so that if one drive succumbs to a hardware failure, the system can continue
to operate without interruption: by using a technique called ``striping'',
data can be read from and written to disks in parallel, significantly
improving I/O performance.

Etc...

This was copied from www.sco.com, Openserver, Virtual Disk Manager pages.

Don