Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:20:17 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Martin McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Another Security-related Question

Yes - but it depends on the TYPE of security hole.

For the purposes of this discussion you can classify security holes into 2
major groups.  There's those holes that are _theoretical_ in that somebody
noticed something (like an input validation failure) that at some point in the
future could be used by an exploit.

Then there's the _practical_ security holes to which an exploit script has
been released, or instructions have been released, etc.

Now, if your going to get upset over the theoretical holes then your on your
own.

But, if you only really care about the practical holes, the best way to see if
your FreeBSD server is vulnerable is to actually run the exploit script for
that hole against your server.

There's easy to use scanning programs like Saint which you can setup and use
to do this for you.  You must of course keep them updated with the latest
version.