Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:02:19 +0000
From:      Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRAFT - DNS Admin Guide

Ken,

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ken Smith wrote:

> ... And apparently I didn't understand your previous example as well
> as I thought.  I'm suggesting dnsadm@ do record keeping at the *zone*
> level.  *Not* host level.  As you say it's distributed, if you wanted
> to add in a new host for some special purpose dnsadm@ doesn't need to
> know a thing about it.  If the Mirror Site Coordinator happens to
> remember nz.freebsd.org is delegated s/he doesn't *need* to contact
> dnsadm@ and they can go straight to you.  But if they forget that
> nz.freebsd.org is delegated they can just send to dnsadm@ and it
> will find its way to you.  But if you're adding in an entire new
> zone inside of nz.freebsd.org IMO it would be best if dnsadm@ be aware of it.

I can't help thinking you are making a simple thing much to complex...

The current status IMO works fine, those running the delegated CC zones
are usually so dedicated that they would find a replacement if they
would decide to stop hosting the zone, but there are allways bad apples,
those you won't ever get rid of.

As reads in:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/hubs/article.html

If everything works so far, contact the DNS admin, responsible for your
region/country, and ask for a DNS entry for your site. The admin should
able to be contacted via <hostmaster@cc.FreeBSD.org>, which cc being your
country code/TLD again. Your DNS entry will look like described in Section
3.1.

If there is no subdomain delegated, yet, for your country, you probably need
to contact <hostmaster@FreeBSD.org>, however, you can try the FreeBSD mirror
sites mailing lists first.

There it tells ppl who to contact to add their mirror, be it ftp, cvups or www

My understaning is that most of the problems have been while someone is trying
to contact dnsadm@, wich should be much better if all CC zone admins would sign
their requests.

/Oli

--