Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:00:07 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc(8) script -- waiting for the network to become usable

On 4/26/10 1:08 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Foremost, sorry for the cross-post, but more eyes in this case means
> overall more discussion.  Secondly, please keep me CC'd as I'm not on
> either -rc or -net.
>
> I recently proposed addition of a new script to the rc framework which
> verifies (using ping) that layer 3 network connectivity is up/functional
> before continuing on with daemons which require network access:

a down side is that you can't boot if some OTHER machine is not up.

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-April/056400.html
>
> The overall response was positive, with full acknowledgement that this
> is indeed a hack -- yet necessary -- and that something more appropriate
> could probably be introduced into the base system to provide a much
> cleaner solution (launchd was mentioned).

there does need to be some dependency tracking to do with networks.
maybe there acn be a selection of ways to pass that milestone..

(carrier detect, ping, incoming packets non-0) etc.
my favourite is:

INPUT_PACKETS=`netstat -i | awk "/${IP}/"'{print $5}'`
if [ -n "${INPUT_PACKETS}" -a "${INPUT_PACKETS}" != "0" ]
them
     echo  "It's UP!"
fi