Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:31:58 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "Robert Hough" <rch@iserve.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Database Authentication

Interesting... I read the original message, then the replies from both Craig
and Dave.  Both made the assumption that Robert was talking about a web
server.

I took the original message as a desier to move user passwd entries from
/etc/passwd to a database of some sort.

This is entirely possible, and easily implemented through PAM.  But, PAM is
*ONLY* for authentication.  It will not, AFAIK, return other information,
such as the user's UID, GID, shell, home directory, etc...  For
authorization, you need something else.

The ultimate solution, is to replace the getpw*() functions with your own
variant.  For that, you're on your own, but rest assured, it shouldn't be
too difficult.

Good luck,

Troy

PS: If you're successful, I believe that several folks would be highly
interested in your modifications.  Might want to announce when you're done
;)