Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        nsayer@kfu.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pac$Bell Internet DSL howto

} > I have a friend also got the $39/mo DSL dynamic IP service. I am trying
} > to connect a FreeBSD box on it, but getting some errors. I never used
} > PPP before, so had no clue what other things need to be done beside
} > 15.4. Here is what I did:       (the ep0 works well on static IP subnet)
}
} I have not tested using the same Ethernet card for both the local IP service
} and the PPPoE. In my friend's case, we used a separate card with a
} cross-over cable to connect the router to the DSL bridge. In that
} circumstance, ifconfig_ep1="up" -- the interface
} must be up but unconfigured for PPPoE to work.

Since you mentioned the cable, I brought crampping tools, some 4-wrie and
8-wire CAT5 cables there. It is the cable. I do not know what the DSL modem
is doing, even though the ep0 (3C509B) is 10BT NIC, the DSL modem needs a
straight 8-wire cable instead of 4-wire cable.

When the 4-wire cable cable is plugged in, the link light on the NIC is up,
but nothing works. < Notice that there is a link light at the edge of the
RJ45 jack on the back of the DSL modem, it is off when 4-wire cable is used.
It is up when the 8-wire cable is installed. However, after boot-up and
NIC is configured, changing 8-wire cable to 4-wire cable will keep the link
light on the RJ45 up.

I have no idea why the DSL modem needs 8-wire for the 10BT NIC for dynamic-
IP negotation, I use 4-wire cable for my static-IP DSL modem, but this may
be worth to be recorded for other people to know this wiered problem.

Thanks,

	-Jin

} >
} >
} > adding following lines into /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and /etc/rc.conf, reboot
} > system: (YOURLOGINNAME & YOURPASSWORD substituted by real strings, these
} > are only information given by PacBell, and work under window95)
} >
} > --------------------------- info. output -------------------------
} > % cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
} > pacbell: # or name_of_service_provider
} >       set device PPPoE:ep0 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
} >       set mru 1492
} >       set mtu 1492
} >       set authname YOURLOGINNAME
} >       set authkey YOURPASSWORD
} >       set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wis
} h
} >       set dial
} >       set login
} >       set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
} >       add default HISADDR
} >       nat enable yes # if you want to enable nat for your local net
} >
} >     papchap:
} >       set authname YOURLOGINNAME
} >       set authkey YOURPASSWORD
} >
} > default:
} >   set device /dev/cuaa1
} >
} >  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
} >  set speed 115200
} >  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK
} \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
} >
} >  set timeout 120
} >  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
} >  add default HISADDR
} >  enable dns
} >
} > % cat /etc/rc.conf
} >
} > # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
} > # please make all changes to this file.
} >
} > ppp_enable="YES"
} > ppp_mode="ddial"
} > ppp_nat="YES"
} > ppp_profile="pacbell"
} > # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
} > network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
} > ifconfig_ep0="up"
} > #ifconfig_ep0="inet 131.243.x.y  netmask 255.255.255.0"
} > #defaultrouter="131.243.x.z"
} > hostname="test.my.domain"
} >
} > --------------------------- end of info. output -------------------------
} >
} > boot errors:
} >
} > module_register: module netgraph already exists!
} > linker_file_sysinit "netgrapg.ko" failed to register! 17
} >
} > uptime erros:
} > ppp[61]: tun0: Warning: kldload: ng_ether:No such file or directory.
} > Chat Script failed
} >
} > Would some help us?
} >
} >         -Jin
} >
} > > A friend of mine just recently got the $39/mo DSL deal Pac$Bell
} > > Internet is offering. There was a big enough hiccup that I thought I
} > > would document it for the archives.
} > >
} > > The "technical" folks at Pac$Bell said that they use DHCP, but in fact
} > > they don't. They supply windows and Mac software (and aparently Linux
} > > as well) that you are supposed to use to hook up. In actual fact, this
} > > software does nothing more than PPPoE. DHCP doesn't enter in to it.
} > >
} > > Anyway, the procedure in section 15.4 of the handbook mostly works just
} > > fine
} > > (I did not have to include the NETGRAPH_PPPOE option, as netgraph is now
} > > smart enough to load its own modules). One thing I found necessary
} > > was an ifconfig_xl1="up" line in /etc/rc.conf to "up" the interface
} > > before
} > > ppp would work.
} > >
} > > There is a chicken-and-egg problem that I could not surmount, however.
} > > In order to activate service, you have to hook up in order to visit
} > > their
} > > website and get the username and password you will use later as your
} > > authname and authkey (you cannot do this from any other ISP).
} > > It is unknown how to do this first-time hookup. We worked around it
} > > by having the Pac$Bell guy use his machine to visit the website and
} > > get the username and password. You could also, I suppose, use the
} > > supplied
} > > windows software once to establish an account and then use FreeBSD from
} > > then on.
} > >
} > > Of course, IMHO the next thing that needs to happen is that PPPoE
} > > support needs to get into the mpd-netgraph port, so that the whole
} > > gizmo can live in the kernel and cut out all that context
} > > switching. Archie? :-)