Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:09:52 +0100
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@dominus.ma.ultranet.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: C++ Code in Kernel

Gregory D. Moncreaff shared with us:
> maybe its just that I'm taking a c++ class now, but I'm
> cusious as to the pro's and con's on writing kernel source
> in c++.  I haven't seen nor heard on this happening on FreeBSD
> [but then my travels haven't been that wide]

I like C++ very much as a language. It hands me constructs which
enable me to make abstractions of programming problems that are
all solveable in C, be it with much more effort. With the right
classes, my programs become very simple and thus less error-prone.
I no longer care about buffer overruns, they simply don't occur.

On the other hand, Unix is not really an object-oriented OS, so
the added value of C++ (primarily data abstraction and object
orientation) has little meaning. Also, performance is a consideration.
C++ code tends to have more overhead. Finally, it hides a lot from
you. I don't know if that's desirable in kernel code.

- Peter
--
Peter Korsten  |  peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (UUCP)  |  peterk@IAEhv.nl
C/C++/Perl/Java hacker