Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 23:46:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Frederick=20Johnson?= <frebhed@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Re: HDD disappiered

I dont really think this is the right list to send these messages...
I dont really know which list would be the best but I'm sure it wouldnt be hard
to find out... checkout the mailing list descriptions (?)

I dont really see how a failed download could cause the problems... I think its
unlikely to be a freebsd problem if you cannot even boot from floppies...

Fred

http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/selectresults.php?language=&col1=Motherboard&col2=33&col3=BIOS+Upgrade
> ... I don\'t know if I can update with the rest, but I know for sure that the
> BIOS before AND after couldn\'t find the hdd... Could it be because of a
> missing mounting point???
>
> thehidden
>
> ----- Forwarded message from CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>  -----
>
> Why did you flash your BIOS?  FreeBSD won\'t have caused this, but I reckon
> that the flash did...Did you make a backup of your EEPROM before flashing the
>
> new one? If so, reflash with your old one and see if HD comes back. Then
> check for a new BIOS (if a prob with BIOS, it would probably have already
> been updated). Also, your BIOS download might have got corrupted...so try
> downloading a fresh copy before trying to flash to new bios again...
>
> Anthony
>
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 11:09, thehidden@ztinkyfingaz.dk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Here\\\'s an update on my installation: I sat in the ethernet nic and
> > everything work fine. But then after booting over floppies and started
> > downloading from an ftp, my machine started to act strangely. First, after
> > downloading the binary files i started downloading the doc files. Then the
> > download fell to 1,1 kb/s so i restarted it. Then after downloading
> > approximatly 2,39 mb it just stopped downloading (and that\\\'s with every
> > package I was downloading). So i canceled all downloads and restarted the
> > application, but now it couldn\\\'t even find the hdd... I don\\\'t know
> what I
> > did wrong, but I flashed my bios, and still, not even bios finds the hdd...
> > I\\\'ve checked if there where any unplugged cables but there weren\\\'t
> (maybe
> > I didn\\\'t check properly). The only thing bios finds is my cd and the
> > flopy... What could I have done, and can anyone help... do I need to buy a
> > new hdd now, or what?
> >
> > thehidden

=====
worry is a missuse of imagination