Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:44:24 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any ideas about this crash?

>[5]   Worse than that, it is fundamentally broken on machines that have
>[5]variable clocks (read: laptops and "green" PCs). The folks in Intel's
>[5]P6 architecture group were shocked when they heard about what we were
>[5]doing with the internal cycle counter..."It was never intended to be used
>[5]that way!".
>[5]   At the very least, we should make it a compile-time option (defaulting
>[5]to off!).
>[5] -DG
>
>THANK YOU for saying that!  I have been saying this for three months now
>and was ignored even though I was probably arguing the same points and
>looking at the same material out of Intels Oregon shop and from the chipset
>vendors that you were.

   It makes a big difference when the P6 architects tell you this personally.

>   This Pentium internal timer is USELESS as a
>TOD timepiece!  Stop using it this way!   It is only good for relative
>measurements within the processors realm.
>
>Why give the Linux guys something else to razz us about?

   "USELESS" might be a little strong - it does have the merit of being a very
fast, "accurate", and easy way to do time measurements. Unfortunately, it also
has apparantly shown us that DELAY() has a bug of some kind as *all* of the
machines I've tested come up with an incorrect calibration about 10% of the
time I boot. The result it comes up with is actually wrong, too, as the
statistics that the system generates later are clearly wrong (off by the same
amount as the mis-calibration). It acts like some sort of rounding or
arithmetic error that occurs during the calibration.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project