Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:36:53 +0800
From:      Ariff Abdullah <skywizard@MyBSD.org.my>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=207594611

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:13:42 -0700
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
> > From: "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
> > Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:17:45 +0200
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
> >

> > This is a me-too report:
> >
> > After upgrading a 6-CURRENT kernel and world from
> > 2004.09.09.08.00.00 to 2004.09.16.13.00.00, I am now getting these
> > messages on a machine that previously worked just fine:
>
> Thanks! This should greatly simplify my search for the change that
> is causing the problem. I can start with 9/9/04 and work forward. I
> saw the problem on 9/11/04 in RELENG_5, so I now have a window. I
> could shrink it to less than nothing if I was REALLY confident that
> nothing was MT5 in less than 3 days, so something the was moved to
> RELENG_5 after a very short time is suspect.
>
> I am currently building a 9/9/04 RELENG_5 kernel and I'll test it
> later today (if nobody beats me to it.)

One more thing to consider, the default scheduler. I found that those
errors occured with SCHED_4BSD (PREEMPTION or NOT), while SCHED_ULE
(of course without PREEMPTION, or *else*), nothing such that.

Note that this is *my* case, your mileage may vary.

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD

http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)