Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:31:57 -0400
From:      "Paul Johnston" <pjaze@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   holes in install docs

Hola FreeBSD'ers,

I'm much interested in trying out FreeBSD, but can't find some pretty basic
information in the online installation guide at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html.  These are all things
one should know _before_ starting an installation of any new OS.  (Or for
that matter, before sending $40 off to the FreeBSD mall to buy an OS that
might not work on one's system).  Namely:

1)  Can I install FreeBSD in an extended partition, or does it need to boot
from a primary partition?
2)  What boot managers work with FreeBSD?  Currently I'm multi-booting with
PowerQuest's BootMagic program that's included with PartitionMagic, but
other possibilities on my system are LILO or the WinNT boot manager.  Do any
of those work with FreeBSD?  Does FreeBSD include its own boot manager?
3)  Which video cards work with FreeBSD?  (There are no video cards listed
in the Supported Hardware!)  Is there a version of XFree86 for FreeBSD?

Well, back to the Web to try to find some answers....

--Paul

Paul Johnston, Ph.D.
UNIX System Administrator
Office for Information Systems