Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1 on 4.4-stable

>From: Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
>Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:21:02 -0700

>K S Sreeram writes:
> > After this i installed the XFree86-4.10_6 package from the
> > cdrom..... but i am facing an annoying problem, where none of the
> > ports recognize that x-windows has been installed, and they simply
> > try to download the source and recompile....

>mkdir /var/db/pkg/XFree86-3.3.6

>All ports are looking for X 3.3, not X 4.  Simply make the directory and
>the ports will stop complaining.

With respect, I believe that the above is a result of a misunderstanding.

I believe that placing the line

	XFREE86_VERSION=	4

in /etc/make.conf is what is wanted.

I have a machine where I installed XF86-4; I update the ports on it
regularly -- just did so yesterday, in fact, after bringing it up to
yesterday's 4-STABLE -- and it does *not* have such a directory:

bunrab[3] ls -ld /var/db/pkg/X*
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Oct  7 13:44 /var/db/pkg/XFree86-4.1.0_7/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Sep  2 11:26 /var/db/pkg/XPostitPlus-2.3_1/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Sep  2 11:43 /var/db/pkg/Xaw3d-1.5/
bunrab[4]

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.