Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:48:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: application developers [ was Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!) ]

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > for people who talk about becoming involved with the FreeBSD project, bad bad
> > way to handle people considering writing applications for it.  I'm about to
> > cancel one of my projects (bouncer) for example, simply because I have not
> > managed to get -any- serious alpha testers, or even any feedback on it and
> > it's either cancel it or move it to Linux, and I don't want to waste one of my
> > machines to install Linux on.
>
> 	What is bouncer? :) You have some good points though. Even being a
> relative newbie I see this problem, especially on the mailing lists. In
> fact there is someone right now complaining that he's sent 5 messages and
> not gotten an answer for any of them. :( I'd help... but I don't have the
> experience/knowledge yet to be able to do so. Heck, I'm still trying to
> figure out the differances between 2.2.8 and 3.1 and how it affects
> me...:)

Bouncer is an antispam/relay filter, designed to provide a nice uniform
solution regardless of which mail server you use, or which version of it.

It's a frustrating situation, and I would go so far as to say that the problem
isn't even lack of support, but lack of feedback.  App developers will tend to
go where their efforts are most appreciated and most rewarded, and feedback is
an incredibly important form of appreciation to people like me :)  Even if
it's a simple "Sorry, I don't think -anyone- will have a use for that", it's
better than letting someone trudge on in utter silence and a feeling of
isolation...

> 	Perhaps part of our advocacy should be to encourage such projects?
> Not just encourage a growth in the user base. For me personally there are
> so many areas I'd like to contribute, the Sparc Project, the simplified
> PPP installation for other newbies, increased documentation AND pointers
> to that same documentation, updated CAM drivers for some of the older
> Adaptec cards, etc, etc, etc. I sure that y'all have a hundred other
> 'little' things that 'need' to be done too. Perchance getting somebody
> else to do the little things would get them more interested in FreeBSD,
> and in turn help the entire project?

I'd say the best thing anyone can do to help grow the app developer community
for freebsd, is -look- at their work, their ideas, etc and give them feedback.
Even if it's not a program you have any use for, commentary like "Oh, this
would look a lot better if it were moved over three spaces" -helps-... if
nothing else the moral support is a relief ;)

     [ licia@o-o.org ] [ http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Alias : Ladywolf]
     [ Telnet to o-o.org and log in as bbs ]    [ ssh -l bbs -C o-o.org ]
     [        A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/         ]

  main(){int num[4]={1768122732,762265697,1919889007,103};printf("%s\n",num);}