Date:      24 Feb 2003 12:46:08 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Lester Igo <igo@vtic.net>, Johannes Wahledow <johannes.w@home.se>
Subject:   Re: VIA8235 audio support

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 10:22, Orion Hodson wrote:
> The VIA8233/8235 audio driver has undergone another revision in an attempt to
> provide support for the VIA8235.  The code is in -CURRENT as of 5 minutes ago.
>  Several people have reported quiet/inaudible sound on P4 boards with this
> southbridge.  If you have a VIA8235 based board, I'd be interested to know if
> it works for you as several people have reported quiet/near-silent operation
> with this chipset and I do not have the relevant h/w.  The new code paths are
> used by the h/w that I do have access to (VIA8233C) so testing this code is
> low risk: the worst case is no sound :-)
>
> If you have a suitable board, but are not running -CURRENT.  Let me know what
> version of FreeBSD you'd like it for and I'll do the relevant work for some
> small number of requests since I really want to resolve this issue.

I have such a chipset but it seems to work fine.

It's an Epox 8K9AI with a VIA 8235 south bridge, and I'm running FreeBSD
4.7 (almost 4.8-PRE).

I merged the changes from -current (didn't apply cleanly but I think I
got it right) and it still works, so that is a good start :) :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5