Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:15:20 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, imp@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Correct instructions to upgrade to 4.0

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 04:14:35PM +0000, J McKitrick wrote:
> I feel like an idiot for even having to ask this, but i ran into the
> same error  as has been discussed.  While attempting to 'config
> MYKERNEL' i got a 'shared object "libc.so.4" not found' error.
>
> I was under the perception that the following command eliminated this:
>
> After make buildworld
> cd sbin/mknod
> make install
> cd src/usr.bin/genassym
> make depend all install    <- note: no 'clean' here
> cd ../../usr.sbin/config
> make depend all install	   <- note: no 'clean' here either
> cd ../../sys/i386/conf
> config KERNEL
>
> This is where the error occurs.  What did i overlook?
> Should the 'clean' be inserted?

I just verified this myself.  These instructions are bogus.
`make depend all' does nothing, because targets are up-to date:

Script started on Thu Mar 16 22:09:05 2000
$ uname -r
3.3-STABLE
$ pwd
/home/ru/FreeBSD-current/usr.sbin/config
$ ldd /usr/obj/`pwd`/config
/usr/obj//home/ru/FreeBSD-current/usr.sbin/config/config:
	libc.so.4 => not found (0x0)
$ make depend all
$ exit
Script done on Thu Mar 16 22:09:56 2000

Inserting `clean' before `depend' would be wrong, since it would
clobber an existing (4.0) config.

The correct instructions are:

cd /usr/src; make buildkernel installkernel KERNEL=FOO

Note, that kernel will be installed as /FOO, not /kernel.

I hope Warner will update the instructions ASAP.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,