Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:49:04 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   recording audio with SoundBlaster Live/pcm cards: has anyone tried this?

I have been working on recording vinyl LPs to digital files but
have run into a problem. It turns out I misread the cryptic runes
on the back of the sound card and was actually recording through
the mic jack. It worked as far as I could tell -- I got sound --
but I now have audio that sounds suspiciously like mono.

So after tracking down the manual for the card (an SB Live! Gamer
or Platinum w/o the Live drive), I am now using the line in and
running the audio through an stereo receiver. But now nothing
registers on the level indicators in gramofile.

According to Creative's open source site, audio in and out is
supported, but there's "supported" and "proven to work." Anyone
have any experience with this or troubleshooting ideas I should be
aware of?

--
Paul Beard: seeking UNIX/internet engineering work
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/paulbeard.html>;

A tautology is a thing which is tautological.