Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:12:34 -0500
From:      "Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   users of the pvrxxx port, please help test this update - or users with a PVR150/500 and unsupported tuner

I've updated the port a bit and would like some feedback as to

(a) Did I break anything
(b) Does it work as it appears to work for me.

What this update does:
1) No more hand patching for known tuners
   - that includes distfiles for your Mako rom
   - that includes fbsd-compat.c for your Mako rom size
   - sorry, if your tuner is unknown, it doesn't handle that

2) Support for the Philips FM1236 MK3 tuner and API copatible tuners,
such as the TCL MFNM05-4. These include tuners identified by the
codes:
   - 0x3A
   - 0x56
   - 0x67

I have tested this new model using an 0x67 tagged tuner for TV (VHFI,
VHFIII, UHF) but not yet FM (should work). Composite video appears to
work, but svideo does not, and will not be nearly as trivial of a
task, I am sorry; I will try, I will ask more innane questions in the
process.

File:
http://www.thestapletons.org/jim/pvrxxx_port_base.tbz

use (this assumes you downloaded the file to ~/):
#Go to the multimedia section of ports
$ cd /usr/ports
#Backup the original pvrxxx port:
$ tar -jcvf ~/pvrxxx-original.tbz pvrxxx/
#extract the current pvrxxx port
$ tar -jxvf ~/pvrxxx_port_base.tbz
#make sure you have the require ROM and sys file in distfiles.
#I'll assume you've done this already, so you don't need instructions on it
#you still also have to run the iic_bus patch and rebuild the kernel with it,
#if you haven't already.

#make!
$ cd pvrxxx; sudo make clean install

#done! You should have no errors, and your tuner should work, no hand
patches required.

If the make fails:
$ cd ..; sudo rm -rfv pvrxxx/*
$ tar -jxvf ~/pvrxxx-original.tbz
#use your previous build methodology from here

Question: The instructions on the requisite iic_bus patching are not
in the base directory as far as I can tell. It looks like you aren't
supposed to put that kind of thing in pkg-descr, is there any place
that installation instructions can be place? I was thinking of making
a pkg-install-instructions file, but I'm not sure if the powers that
be would approve...

Thank you,
-Jim Stapleton