Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:53:23 -0400
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   soft updates

i'm looking at the freebsd handbook right now, trying to decide if i should use soft-updates on my box.  i can't afford to lose any data, that is written in stone.

it says: "First, Soft Updates guarantees filesystem consistency in the case of a crash..."  is this true?  it also lists two "problems" that might occur using it.  one would be that it 'runs' out of space if my drive is close to being full.  thats not an issue, niether is the 2nd problem

basically what i'm asking is is it stable?  and how much of a performance gain am i gonna see?  thanks

nathan