Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:14:38 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        Ulf Kieber <kieber@xoo.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM error

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 04:22:11PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Ulf Kieber wrote:
>=20
> > Re,
> >
> > on a 6.0-RELEASE I receive the following error since I tried restoring
> > a large dump
> >
> > Nov 14 12:30:11 nexus kernel: g_vfs_done():da1s1d.bde[WRITE(offset=3D72=
350695424, length=3D131072)]error =3D 1

> > Besides that, no other errors are logged, especially no SCSI errors.
> > The problem persists even after the restore has completed.
>=20
> errno 1 is EPERM ("Operation not permitted") and is generally returned if
> you attempt to write somewhere you're not allowed to. Considering the
> offset is near the end of the disk, GBDE may be trying to prevent you from
> overwriting metadata blocks at the end of the partition. How or why
> restore(8) would be writing there I'm not sure.
>=20
> A SCSI error would return as errno 5 (EIO, "Input/output error").
>=20

I get the same messages with my external USB drive from time to time
(interestingly also GBDE encrypted).

Nov 20 02:03:30 haakonia kernel: g_vfs_done():da3s2c.bde[WRITE(offset=3D383=
341297664, length=3D65536)]error =3D 1

The message repeats every 30 seconds and trying to unmount the file
system fails.  When I try to shut the system down, the message appears
n > 50 times followed by a panic.

Is it possible that the system tries to write on a bad sector and
consequently fails (provided that the on-disk sector remapping also
fails)?

The SMART output of the drive looks ok.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--