Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:11:57 -0400
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hrs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: acroread9 crashing

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:35:37 +0000
Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org> articulated:

> On Sat Oct 23 10, Jerry wrote:
> > FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE /amd64
> >
> > I continue to have a problem getting acroread9 to run.
> >
> > 1) It will not create its directory in my home directory.
> >
> > :1: error: unexpected character `\1', expected keyword - e.g.
> > `style' Acroread was unable to create the directory .adobe in your
> > home directory. There may be a permission problem with the parent
> > directory. Acroread was unable to create the
> > directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory. There
> > may be a permission problem with the parent directory. Acroread was
> > unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your
> > home directory. There may be a permission problem with the parent
> > directory. Acroread was unable to create the
> > directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory. There
> > may be a permission problem with the parent directory. Acroread was
> > unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your
> > home directory. There may be a permission problem with the parent
> > directory. Acroread was unable to create the
> > directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory. There
> > may be a permission problem with the parent directory. Acroread was
> > unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your
> > home directory. There may be a permission problem with the parent
> > directory.
> >
> > The directory permissions are normal and no other program has ever
> > complained about it. I even tried giving it 0777 permissions without
> > success. So, I manually create the directory structure it appears to
> > want.
> >
> > 2) Now I manually start acroread9 again:
> >
> > Error message:
> >
> > :1: error: unexpected character `\1', expected keyword - e.g.
> > `style'
> >
> > Next License agreement displays and I choose <accept>
> >
> > Main program windows pops up for 1 second and then disappears
> >
> > This is now displayed:
> >
> > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'
> >
> > 3) From the "Security Run Output" received every morning, this
> > excerpt:
> >
> > +linux: pid 17352 (acroread): syscall inotify_init not implemented
> >
> > I have tried doing a complete 'pkg_delete" of the program and then
> > reinstalling it without any success.
> >
> > I wanted to use 'gdb' to try to debug the program; however, it
> > throws an error message also:
> >
> > gdb acroread9
> > GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> > Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
> > and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
> > under certain conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > details. This GDB was configured as
> > "amd64-marcel-freebsd"..."/usr/local/bin/acroread9": not in
> > executable format: File format not recognized
> >
> > (gdb) run
> [...]

Thanks Alex, I was beginning to think that, that might be the problem.
What I do not understand is why the port is not marked "broken".
That would certainly make more sense than having users waste their time
attempting to get a port to run when it cannot be made to do so.
Perhaps the port maintainer would care to comment on this.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

Old programmers never die, they just become managers.