Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:34:33 +0800
From:      "Tan Juay Kwang" <jk.tan@pacific.net.sg>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "Robert Dean" <BobDean150@excite.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: select() returns on empty pipes

Hi, I don't get it what you say 'mimick the Linux FIFO behavior'. I
mean, shouldn't select(2) not return on empty pipes.

Actually, I notice this a couple of weeks ago and I thought it could be
due to a race condition whereby the second process opens the pipe for
writing and triggering select(2) in the reading process to return before
it gets a chance to actually put something on the pipe. I was on a
dateline so I abandoned the whole idea and switch to unix domain socket
instead and forgot about the whole thing.

Just curious, are there many applications that uses named pipe nowadays?

Regards,
Juay Kwang